View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #22
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardok View Post
Had my car at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA and it was loose. The instructors and Pro drivers commented on it. Recommend better tires for the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dega Man View Post
The tires are definitely lacking. Just think what the lap times would be on the ZL1 if it had the pirelli trofeo's that are going to be standard on the Z28! It definitely would not be 3 sec's down in lap times behind the Z28.
If you purchase and mount a purpose built tire like a Toyo R888 track tire you will be able to drop about 10 seconds per lap at my local road course. If you mount a drag radial you will shave at least a full second off your quarter mile time. The problem with these specialized tires is that they are unsafe in rain and just not practical on the street. There is no such thing as a do everything tire. Every tire makes compromises of some sort. The Eagle F1 needs to be warmed to operating temp and then it is about the best cornering street tire available. Some like Bridgstones, some like Michelins, I think these tires are a little better in straight line acceleration but not as good with lateral g's. They are both way better in the rain. A street tire needs to be a compromise. Personally I think the Goodyear gives up too much temp tolerance and wet grip. I mount special tires for "racing" events and when my street tires wear out I will put on the Michelin PSS. If you want to drive to the road racing course and run your car without changing a tire the Goodyear F1 is about as good a tire as you will find but is not in the same class as the track specific tires.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote