Thread: sound processor
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard200593 View Post
I have the stock BA system in my camaro, replaced the amp with a jl xd400 with the fark harness. I have a memphis amp with a 12" fosgate sub that hits hard but sounds separate from the system. was recently told what I needed to install in my camaro was a sound processor to clean up the signal, reinstall the BA amp and run the 2 aftermarket amps off the processor. does this sound correct? 500 installed for a jl fix-82 sound fair if so?
I don't have enough time right now to fully explain all this, but here goes as much as I can:

1 - Stock BA head unit is clean. No need to fix what isn't broken.
2 - Putting the stock amp back in to only fix it's problems with a Fix-82 is basically un-fixing it and then fixing it. Again - stock head is clean.
3 - I would say your issue (Sub-to-mid blend) probably lies in where your XD400/4 and Memphis amps are crossed over. If you have too high of a high pass on your mids, and too low of a low pass on your subs, you'll have a gap in frequency response (which sounds like what you are describing). There is a further issue of speaker response, but I'm not going to get into that.

Are you running all stock speakers (obviously subs are not stock). How are your stock 6x9's wired? Which Memphis amp are you running and which subs do you have? Almost all amps (save for the stupid-high-end) have some sort of crossover ability built in to them. The XD400/4 has a pretty good crossover built in, so adjusting the filters on that one should be pretty easy.

If running stock drivers, you should have your fronts set to high-pass around 80hz or so, and the stock rear 6x9's (the 6x9, not the wide banders in the middle) can most likely be high passed around 50hz (but 80hz to match the fronts would probably blend better). The subs you would probably do a low pass at 60hz. Butterworth filters (am I getting too deep??) which is what JL uses have a little bump at the crossover point that basically smooths out the transition between the mid and sub.

Short version - you'd be much better off with a TWK-88 than a Fix-82. You could then set your filters much easier and have EQ to go with it and tune it, but I'm warning you that is a rabbit hole.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote