View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #58
brandonrr
LFX is not the average V6

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Lol yes we have. I loved driving the Camaro. I drove a 2011 before I got my GT and I have recently driven a 2012 with the updated FE4 suspension and the slightly updated interior. Loved the car, the power band, and the new interior is more fitting the price. The LS3 makes my 302 feel peaky, even though I know it's really not compared to anything else I've owned.
my dad has the same car as you deki. i will admit, i love the 5.0 engine in the GT. it is a real beast that pushes that car around like it weighs nothing.

the v6 mustang, on the other hand, just seemed underpowered to me. i am unbiased in my review, and actually prefer the Ford brand name over the Chevy name. there is no way in hell that the 2012 v6 mustang is anywhere near as powerful as the 2012 V6 camaro. like i said in my first post, i had a planned "power test"

this was my simple "power test"

city test:
1. go 0-60 as fast as possible. (speed limit on that particular road was 55mph)
2. in 2nd gear, at 2000RPMs, give it full throttle for approx. 2 seconds.
3. repeat test 2 at 3000RPMs
4. repeat test 2 at 4000RPMs
5. repeat test 2 at 5000RPMs (for 1 second)
highway:
similar process as 2-5 from the city test, but in 2-5th gear, in order to stay within reasonable speeds. (no more than 10mph over the limit)

i explained to the lady from the dealership who rode with me what i wanted to do why. I expected a "NO!", but surprisingly, she complied and told me i could do all this as long as i didn't too far over the speed limit and drive normal for the first few minutes of the test drive, so she could judge my driving ability before she gave the OK to do my "test".

the point of that power test was to assess how much power the car had at certain RPMs to kind of get a feel for the car's power throughout the powerband. there was not one single part of the test where the mustang had more power, though it was pretty close at 5500RPM+. i did use the speedometer to see how fast i was accelerating instead of just relying on feel. the biggest difference in power between the two cars was between 2000-4000RPMs. this was where the mustang was really lacking, especially under 3000RPMs.

to keep the comparison as accurate as possible, i did this same power test in my camaro before and after i test drove the mustang. both cars were up to their optimal operating temperatures when these tests were done and the weather was the same with the same ambient temperature as well. i even used the same roads to conduct these tests, so i eliminated as many of the variables that i could.
brandonrr is offline   Reply With Quote