View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 04:17 AM   #51
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
I'm saving this post so that in 4 or 5 years,(if you're still around), You will be proven wrong. I will repost your statement at the appropriate time. How about taking your ford sunglasses off and looking at the numbers as they are now. Face it, right now for the past couple years GM has made a better product and the sales are reflecting it. There is no point in dreaming and trying to predict how the buying public will react to sales of a car that hasn't been built yet, much less having been fully designed and released to the public. Don't take this as a flame, just trying to point out some nonsense.
No offense taken, but you do realize that the Ecoboost and GM's Ecotech engines will be hot sellers right? There is a large market for fuel efficient sport coupes. Take the 1 series and 3 series BMW's for example, the 1 series outsells the 3 series on a 3 to 1 ratio here in Europe. The Ecoboost Mustang will be a HUGE seller and so will the Ecotech Camaro when it arrives 2016-2017. Thinking that the 5th Gen Camaro sales will still be just as strong in 2014 is wishful thinking but I only hope that they can maintain throughout the last couple of years. Sales of the Camaro during Q4 2010 and January 2011 were very low. Now that can be accredited to seasonal trends but those seasonal trends had a very small effect on the 5th gen during the first year. The Camaro's sales will be that of the Mustang's are now, strong through the spring/summer and non existent throughout the fall and winter. Most of that sales decline has to do with Ford's production, Ford only produces Mustang's at capacity during 3 of the 4 quarters of the year.

By 2014, The 5th Gen Camaro's sales will be at the lowest during its model life and will need a refresh to help with sales. There is a big possibility that the 5th Gen won't even make it to where the S197 has as far a model life goes. The S197 will be almost 10 years old when it leaves production, that is incredible for an automobile today and it still manages strong spring/summer sales. The S197 will be close to one million sales when it leaves the fleet, something that the 5th Gen Camaro cannot replicate. As of today, the Camaro has sold just as many units as the Mustang sold in 2005 alone, I know the market has changed and it will change again when Ford redefines the Pony Car market in 2014. The reality is, the Eco 4 cylinders will carry the pony car market into the next generation and any Eco pony car will dominate the segment... the question is, how long can GM hold out on the 5th Gen while pent up demand for a new lightweight economy/performance sport coupe is available... and as the market slowly changes into whatever the Mustang becomes. I hope that the 5th Gen Camaro can survive until 2017...

Last edited by thePill; 05-07-2011 at 06:30 AM.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote