View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #9
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
The struggle with Murphy's Law is real. Last night I tried to install my Moreno Motorsports camber/caster plates on my front coilovers and set spring preload to make the install tonight quicker, and I'm glad i did, because I hit a snag.

Comparing the spring perches on the Moreno camber plates to the original Pedders top mount, the Moreno mount lets the spring ride higher. Unfortunately, the bottom spring perch on the strut body can't be adjusted up high enough to compensate without partially raising it above the threads on the shock body. When the bottom mount is threaded as high as is can go while still being completely threaded onto the shock, the spring is about 10.6 mm too short, plus the 5mm of preload that needs to be added in addition to that. The springs free length (when totally uncompressed) right at 6 and 7/8", so I need a minimum of a 7.49" long spring to make the mounts work. Pedders specs an 8 kg/mm spring with the coilovers, which works out to 448 lbs/in, so I've got a set of 8" 450 lbs/in Hyperco springs on the way now. These particular coilovers are used, so your spring length may vary a little bit, but long story short, if you're planning on running Moreno Motorsports camber/caster plates with Pedders XA coilovers, you'll probably need longer springs. That's not really that big of a hassle, the springs are $60 eash on Amazon with free shipping, and in my case, the front springs are showing some wear, the powdercoat is coming off in a couple places, and there's surface rust where it's come off.

I'm going to go ahead and install the coilovers with the original mounts, my 28 mm 1LE rear bar and toe links, and wheels/tires tonight, and then pull the front coilovers back off and install the new springs and camber plates later. Even without them, the autocross will be a blast this Sunday.
Attached Images

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!

Last edited by Burt; 03-13-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote