Thread: Z28 Weight Loss
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
The suspension is going to add a lot of weight so the key to keeping the Z28's weight down will be to find the areas that we can keep the weight relatively low. I understand that the 5th Gen is a big car and weight reduction is a difficult task but, that doesn't mean we should ignore weight all together. If were looking to produce a naturally aspirated, road going Z28 then weight is and always will be an issue. With the upcoming FE4 suspension that will be available on the 2012 Camaro SS, it is proof that GM is taking a step in the right direction to produce a well mannered Camaro for track duty. Now the task of keeping weight to a minimum, not a 100 pound reduction, is necessary more now than ever. Suspension can add an insane amount of weight but it is not unwanted weight so to speak... Heavier suspension means stability.

If GM can keep the weight of the Z28 close to the SS's curb weight, then it is a possibility that they can use a two piece rotor and still use the same diameter that the SS does. There is physical proof that a 4000+ pound Camaro can handle as Pedders did just that to a 2010 SS. As long as the 2012 Camaro didn't gain too much weight over the 2010 and 2011, it wouldn't be crazy to think that GM could develop and produce a 3800 pound Z28 Camaro. It also isn't crazy to think that GM could even manage to make a Z28 a tad bit lighter than the standard SS of say, 50 or so pounds. GM needed a benchmark car and now Ford has given it to them in the form of the Boss 302. It is only a matter of time before GM is caught in camouflage in the Detroit area in a Z28 test mule. It is probably out of the question to see a 3700lb Z28, but it would be HUGE news if GM could manage a 3799lbs Z28.

I am excited all this is going on and I love the fact that there are people on this site doing the bench engineering to figure out where the Z28 would stand. I am calling for a high revving, naturally aspired LS3 to do the job. Its the lightest and most inexpensive V8 engine they got. Now the issue of developing an LS3 that can turn out the RPMs and produce the horsepower and torque needed to compete with the Boss 302. I will be looking to the Grand Am Continental Tire Grand Sport class for the new Z28... having the Z28 appear there would bring back the SCCA Trans Am series days of the pony car war and I would no longer regret being born in the wrong generation...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote