View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #20
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Yeah I hope so too because that looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully it's $1,000 in which case I'm interested.

This will be beneficial for more than just track, although it certainly helps there.

A CF driveshaft does several things that are a benefit.

You may have already noticed there's a difference between the power an engine is rated at, and the power that makes it to the rear wheels. There's typically about a 15% loss that occurs because of the power that's absorbed by the clutch, trans, differential, etc.

So for example in the case of the SS the engine is rated at 426 hp. Typically a dyno run shows about 360 making it to the rear wheels. 66 hp is being absorbed in the drivetrain. Some of that power can be recovered with improvements in drivetrain efficiency.

The driveshaft is a 2-piece shaft so there are 4 joints connecting it and absorbing power. It's also unsprung rotating weight. The effect on performance of unsprung rotating weight is about 1-10; 1 lb of unsprung is equal to 10 lbs of regular sprung weight. So reducing 8 lbs on the driveshaft has the same effect as removing 80 lbs from the car.

Replacing a 2-piece shaft with a 1-piece shaft eliminates a set of joints in the middle which increases the efficiency allowing more power to make it to the rear wheels. And it's a percentage effect rather than a fixed amount. Improvements are generally around 2-5%, so if the engine is producing 426, the increase in efficiency means another 10-20 horsepower is making it to the rear wheels.

In addition the 1-piece is smoother, less vibration, can run at a higher rpm as a result. Engine response is faster; less resistance in the drivetrain. It can handle higher hp than the stock shaft.

Lots of good reasons to get this.
Theres alot in here that is incorrect,ill be glad to go over a few things we have proven over the years,give me a call anytime.i dont think You will not see a driveshaft lighter than the stock shaft,no matter the material,good news is it doesnt hurt you in such a heavy car...
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote