View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #10
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
It's a big car that feels even bigger when you drive it. Mirror adjustment needs to be perfect and you'll use them a lot since the car is a rolling blind spot. It's hard to see around corners because you are physically very far from the front of the car. You'll want to back into parking spots or park excessively far back because it's almost impossible to place the front of the car and you don't want to scrape.

The V6 has enough power to get in trouble if you aren't careful, but it's not the controlled explosion the V8 can be. It's actually a great engine as far as I could tell driving a V6 for a few hours. The front seems more lively than the V8, and it's very rev-happy.

I've been driving for years so the traits of the car are more novel than anything else, but I could see how they might be intimidating or even dangerous to a new driver. I had to fall back on truck driving skills AND track day skills at the same time, as well as having to be very busy when counter-steering due to the lazy 16.1:1 steering ratio.

So...the best thing you could do would be rent a Camaro for a couple days (buy insurance) and see if you really want it before dropping your cash on one.

A similar car that might be easier to drive would be a 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe. The new 2.0 turbo will make I think 275 horsepower and it's lighter, so probably about the same power to weight ratio and price point.

Also the new WRX is a cool car.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote