View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
RX Performance's Ported Throttle Body Review & Installation Tutorial(for LFX engines)

First off - I have to admit, the tutorial is going to be short and sweet. This is by far the easiest throttle body I've ever had the pleasure of working with. No vacuum lines, no coolant lines, no mechanical linkages, just ONE electrical sensor and 4 bolts.

The throttle body fresh out of the package:
Name:  IMG_2698.jpg
Views: 5088
Size:  156.6 KB
Name:  IMG_2699.jpg
Views: 3491
Size:  123.9 KB

Installation:

Tools:
1. 10 mm Socket w/ Socket Wrench
2. Flatblade Screwdriver

Step 1. Remove the engine cover.
Name:  IMG_2700.jpg
Views: 5444
Size:  137.4 KB

Step 2. Unhook intake elbow from throttle body. For my Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, it was just a matter of unscrewing the clamp and moving the elbow out of the way. Your mileage may vary.
Name:  IMG_2701.jpg
Views: 5173
Size:  135.0 KB

Step 3. Under the throttle body is the electrical sensor. There's a red piece of plastic which needs to be pulled out, use the screw driver to push the tab back. Once it's back all the way, you can push down on the plug where the plastic piece used to be against and then slide towards the passenger side to get it to slide out from the throttle body.

Step 4. Using the 10mm socket wrench, remove the 4 bolts around the perimeter of the throttle body. The bottom right bolt is kinda hidden, but it's in there.
Name:  IMG_2703.jpg
Views: 4126
Size:  81.7 KB

Step 5. Hold new throttle body in place and reverse steps 1-4.
Name:  IMG_2707.jpg
Views: 3702
Size:  101.3 KB
Name:  IMG_2708.jpg
Views: 3557
Size:  161.5 KB

Comparison:
Name:  IMG_2703.jpg
Views: 4126
Size:  81.7 KB
Name:  IMG_2704.jpg
Views: 3320
Size:  95.6 KB

Review:
Install was a breeze. After installing, I drove it around the block but not that far yet... literally just finished installing it 10 minutes ago. I'm trying to be as unbiased and not give into placebo as possible. It seems like I don't have to rev as high to get the car to start moving in 1st gear. I actually squealed the tires a little bit when I pulled out of my subdivision because I'm used to giving it more gas. Taking off from a stop in 2nd gear seems to be nicer too, as it doesn't seem to lug at first like it used to. All in all, for a quick trip around the block it *seems* better, but I'm going to drive it to my parents' house to drop the car off for a week so I won't have much more feedback for a little while. All in all, I think this was worth the price!

UPDATE:
Drove the car to my parents' house to drop it off with my dad for a week while I have a company vehicle. I used 2nd gear to take off and WOW what a difference. There was absolutely no lugging at all taking off from a complete stop. It takes off confidently and smoothly. That was the most impressive change. Very cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
UPDATE:
My dad called me as soon as he got home from work because he was so surprised what a difference he noticed driving the car. He said he noticed absolutely no lugging at all - it pulls much better.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/

Last edited by meissen; 08-08-2012 at 05:43 PM.
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote