View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #615
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Aren't the transmission ratios the same for both cars? I can't see where they changed.
Not according to the spec.

SS:
1st: 3.01
2nd: 2.07
3rd: 1.43
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.84
6th: 0.57
Final Drive Ratio: 3:45

1LE:
1st: 2.66
2nd: 1.78
3rd: 1.30
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.74
6th: 0.5
Final Drive Ratio: 3.91

Quote:
think you need to double check your calculations There is NO Camaro that can do those top speeds that you have calculated. I believe the SS (stock) is top rated @ 165 mph and it's governed to 155 mph.
Quote:
Those top speeds in 5th and 6th a theoretical based on if the car had the power to reach redline (6600 rpm) in 5th and 6th gear. It doesn't have the power obviously so it won't reach those speeds, but the gearing could accommodate such speeds if the power was available.
Exactly. Those are theoretical speeds and the highest ones are for the overdrive gears which are typically just used for fuel economy by lowering rpms. The car doesn't have enough power for its weight and aerodynamics to reach the theoretical speeds (at least not the 300 mph). That and there's a governor. The govenor can easily be solved. Extra hp takes a little more effort. Enough to reach 300 mph takes a lot more effort.

Quote:
I must agree with you on the last point, when a car is super refined and quiet it makes the car feel slower then it really is.
I'm still curious if someone can expand on the ride quality as I would like to order my camaro ASAP. And there aren't many people that can comment on this right now other than someone like fbodfather....hint hint.....the person that question was directed toward.

As it stands right now the SS I drove was awesome for comfort both with the suspension and the seats. I know this is suppose to be a muscle car and all, but damn I liked it. I could take this thing cross country. I could give up some of that for better handling, which I thought was slightly lacking. I just want to know how much I am giving up. I am thinking that even with the improvement this thing will still be more comfortable than anything I have now.

What is the major improvements to handling? Is it the tower brace and the thicker roll bars or is it more than that?

Last edited by cbass; 03-30-2012 at 10:39 AM.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote