View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 08:38 PM   #16
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
I'd still like to hear the Camaro team's input on this one.

I did get some additional info straight from GM on this topic that I wanted to share (around tuning for different tire sizes). I reached out to Jordan Garwood (Product and Marketing Manager: Performance Parts – All Vehicles
Performance Vehicles, Accessories, & Motorsports) on what it would take to put SS 1LE wheels/tires on my SS and calibrate for the different diameters:

"Unfortunately we (GM) don’t have a way for a dealer to do this [calibrate tire size or rev/mile] so it would require an aftermarket handheld tuner. Vehicle calibrations are specific to VINs and a dealer cannot put the cal from 1 VIN (1LE) into another VIN (SS). I can’t really say since these aren’t “manufacturer approved” vehicle calibration updates. I bounced the cal question to another Engineer I know, who was a Camaro test driver previously, and his reply is below:

Confirmed that we do have two different cals (SS & 1LE) for the speedo. We will have different cals for the ABS/TC/ESC for the different vehicles as well due to the tire and suspension differences. The lowering kit for the SS is meant to work with the SS tires. Should a customer choose to put the 1LE tires on the vehicle, the vehicle will have speed and odometer errors along with less optimized Chassis Control Cals. They may even risk voiding the vehicle warranty with this change.”

Of course the Performance Suspension Kit is designed to integrate perfectly with your stock SS vehicle and cals, but it sounds like the 1LE wheel and tire change is more challenging than even I would have anticipated since there is no “factory” calibration solution available and you would therefore need to find a tuner for more than one of your vehicle calibrations.

I agree the wheels would look great but it sounds difficult to get the exact calibrations needed to realize the desired performance benefits you are seeking.

So, even though this may not be the answer you wanted, hopefully it points you in the right direction should you decide to pursue.

Thanks again for your passion for your Camaro and all your interest in the Performance Suspension kit.

Hope this helps!"

I'd still really like to hear from the Camaro team what tire size differences (or front to rear ratio differences) start to matter from a ABS/TC/Stability control standpoint.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote