View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #42
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
For ideal performance, one doesn't want the air temperature to be too warm, as engine performance will suffer. Cool dense air is desirable. The ideal air temperature for engine performance is probably between 45 and 60 degrees F. Temperatures any colder than 45 degrees F will make it difficult for the tires to hook. A sunny day will help warm the track surface.

A high barometric pressure also helps improve performance, and low humidity is also desired. When the Density Altitude is 0 feet or less, the conditions are very favorable.

And, of course, proper track preparation is essential as well.
Preaching to choir there Bear, I did alot of drag and street racing when I was much younger...I won't bore anyone about anecdotal knowledge or personal experience. I for one fully understand what favorable conditions can do for, or hinder a performance car from doing. My comments were directed about the time of year, weather conditions, and location of the "test". They should also test the car(s) under more optimal conditions which will give a fair balance between cold and warm operating, weather, and subsequent track conditions. The numbers will vary widely.