View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #30
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
If the aging process only needs 350 degrees F, then aren't we in danger already, since brake pads can get to a 1000 degrees F, and I'm sure they would transfer a few hundred degrees F to the wheels? I'm a bit confused about all this to be honest.
I agree with Billy that the soak time during curing being a longer duration plays an important role.

I would also think that the "weakest" point on the wheel likely does not see the same level of heat transfer while tracking the car as it would in a curing oven. I'm guessing the center hub on the wheel is where it gets the hottest during tracking since it directly contacts the rotor (conductive heat transfer) and I'm guessing the hub was designed to be stronger than say the spokes out at the lip of the wheel are.

So in other words there are probably higher strength safety factors built in where the wheel will see the most heat during tracking and get hotter than the 350°. When you powder coat the wheel the entire wheel regardless of location will see the curing temperature and be heat soaked for a longer duration so that will likely have a larger impact on the material strength then.