View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
blumaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS / 1977 Trans AM
HVAC problems - blend door?

My 2012 Camaro SS recently developed a problem with the AC not blowing cold air. It also seems like the heat does not get as hot as it should. I took it to the dealer and they informed me that the refrigerant charge is good but they feel that the problem is that the blend door may be broken. This makes sense considering the symptoms. They said they would need to remove the windshield and dashboard to further diagnose the problem. I suspect that the car will never be the same after that procedure. Wind noise and water leaks due to the windshield removal and re-installation. And interior squeaks and rattles from the dashboard. My car is very clean and well maintained with 42,000 miles on the odometer. I have no faith that the dealer will be able to perform this work and not create a ton of new problems and blemishes on the interior of the car and the paint around the windshield.

So I brought the car home and crawled under the dash and observed that the blend door actuator was working but I don't know if it is traveling over it's full range of motion. Some GM cars/trucks can have the blend door actuator re-calibrated by removing a fuse. Is this the case with the Camaro? I would like to try that before I pay the dealer to destroy my car.

Has anyone else had their windshield and dash removed? If so what were the results?

Is there anything else I should check before resorting to the dealer's extreme fix?

Thanks.

-Ray
blumaro is offline   Reply With Quote