View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 12:34 AM   #652
Butcher

Drives: '03 MY/MR Z06, '09 Sliver/Red G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Hmmm. To me that looks steep, but let me try to see what you get for your money.

I can't find anything about the M10, but it looks like the MM6 comes directly from the vette and is used on the 7L 505hp Z06. Does that mean it is beefed up compared to the M10? Sounds hopeful. From what I can find the ZL1 uses the MG9 of the TR6060. The extra cooling is nice. I wonder if the clutch is the same?

Some of this might be good. Here is some info from Hot Rod on what breaks in high performance usage when it comes to suspension.

The Transmission cooling seems like a good idea as well:

The brembo brake package on the mustang is just $1700 more. If this source is correct you also get suspension improvements with it:

The track pack is $2500 which includes the brembo brake package and adds engine cooler, upgraded radiator, better brake pads, and the torsen differential from the Boss 302. It comes with a 3.73 final drive ratio over the stock 3.31 for gearing changes.

That's all for $2500 more. I would think the track pack brings the GT pretty damn close to a Boss 302 in the handling department. The boss still had extra horsepower.

So ya.....$6-8K as I see it is pretty steep unless I am missing something. No matter. I still have high hopes for the 1LE. I am glad to see GM working on improving the handling.

I look at it this way; Let's say you already have an SS Camaro. How much would it cost to change the transmission, put in a 3.91 gear set, change the shocks (and possibly springs), put in better half shafts, change the wheels and tires, change the steering wheel and shift handle, change the sway bars and end links, add a splitter and rear wing, upgrade the cooling system and upgrade the fuel system? The parts alone would probably cost over $6,000, and that doesn't include labor. However, since the car comes this way from the factory, you have to deduct the cost of the stock parts. So the option might not seem worth the price to some people.

As for the Mustang, other than the differential (which doen't help too much), you didn't list anything in the Track Pack that would improve handling. 20-30 horsepower is very easy to overcome on a road course. Want proof? The 1LE is heavier and less powerful than a BOSS 302 (the BOSS makes over 450 HP), yet it is slower around a road course than a 1LE. The car that can carry more speed thru the corners will have a decided advantage, and HP won't help you go thru corners any faster.
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote