View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 08:46 AM   #9
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
I did my own 3.91 upgrade in the garage on jack stands..if you use OEM AAM gear sets it practically dropped in..it's the case dimensions that change not the gears...all I had to do was swap the pinion shim over..it all came together with about .2-.3 backlash...if you use aftermarket gears you have to reset pinion height all over again and then set the ring gear...big pain in the a$$ and if you don't have the proper tools forget it...I also did all of the bearings due to mileage...still whisper quiet after over 2k miles(changed gear oil at 1k-perfect)...biggest pain in the a$$ was setting the inside pinion race and setting the crush collar preload.

so if you have more than basic mechanical skills, tools and a good understanding of what you are actually doing! go for it....3.91's are what the SS M6 should have come with from the factory like the 1LE.

btw - and for the q above about dropping the diff to install the LPW cover...you might be able to sneak it in and out but best bet is to drop it(only need to pull right axle!) so the bushings can be upgraded at the same time...
I have a 1LE and really would like the TruTrac with JRE caps and the LPW cover. I'd do bearings and keep the factory 3.91.

I've done several 10 bolts and a couple of 12 bolts. I'd have to study up on it again. I forget the math but have the gauges and tools. So I just might get around to it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk