View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
I have helped or installed all three.
MGW was a toughest install among the three. MGW once installed was great, I only got to drive it for a while since the car was not mine but I liked it.
The Hurst was the first short shift I have tried and the install was easier that the MGW due to installing only the stick. The shifting was not as tight as the MGW and there was a lot of vibration noise on accels. I have seen that Hurst has a kit to deaden the vibration with teflon but haven't seen one yet.
The Barton was just as easy to install as the Hurst on the V8, I did a V6 just this week and due to the centering springs the install took a little longer but again it was easier than the MGW because the barton was just a stick install. The stick also had more height adjustments than the rest. The Barton shifting was as clean as MGW with no noise or vib on the accels.
What does all this mean... I bought the Barton for my camaro. It came down to $ and cosmetics. The Barton was better looking to me, costs about $100 cheaper than the others, and the throw was just a tad shorter than the rest.
My advise is to get rid of that factory shifter as soon as possible. The cripness of the shifting is just too much to pass up. I love my Barton !
I have to say I almost ended up buying the MGW, however the Barton is the more economical buy and comes with a better looking stick and knob. Everyone who has tried both says the same thing you do, that it feels better than the Hurst. I think you're one of the few who has installed the MGW and tried it out along with the competition. All in all Barton is making a name for himself and all of us early adopters have benefited from a quality machined product and a relatively low price in comparison to the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
One thing to note about the MGW is it has adjustable throw...

Not sure if the others do....

I'm leaning towards MGW...
The Barton has an adjustable throw, that can become shorter than the Hurst and MGW.

Last edited by Supermans; 01-02-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote