View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #325
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jol13 View Post
I spend more time reading Camaro5 posts than I do posting, and have come across the various arguments about the SS and z/28 monikers. Since contrasting precedence has been set defining the top HP Camaro, I believe arguing over the correct use of the moniker is already too late, but I can understand a desire to avoid it since it inspires strong feelings among some enthusiast.

However, referring to any potential Camaro with increased performance characteristics as a “HP Edition” seems odd to me. Eventually, if the car is produced, various car periodicals and test sites will inevitably perform comparison tests between the Ford GT500, which has a respected history and story behind the moniker[1], and the Camaro HP Edition. The name seems too generic. I think it would be more compelling if GM selected a moniker with more history behind it.

GM has a long history with established branding; it doesn’t seem to make sense to dismiss leveraging established monikers. If I were working at GM, I would attempt to convince the company to select a different name, such as ZR1 or COPO, if the company preferred not to use z/28. It would also work out better for salesman selling cars to uniformed customers. IE., explain that the HP Edition is a high performance Camaro vs selling a Camaro Copo, ZR1/ etc, with the established history and tradition behind the names.

Regardless, Shakespeare wrote “What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet,” and I thinks it’s cool that GM may be producing a Camaro to compete with the GT 500. On the other hand Shakespeare also wrote “But he that filches from me my good name robs me of that which not enriches him, and makes me poor indeed.”

Anyway, love my Camaro. Thanks!

[1] I’ve owned a Camaro since I was 17 years, legal driving age in Jersey, and have owned 4 different Camaros over the past 16 years. I currently own a 2010 2SSRS.

POST OF THE DAY! KUDOS TO YOU!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote