View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 12:52 AM   #34
SNV

Drives: 2014 RRM 2ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Well let's face it. The technology in the advancement of automotive paint has changed but as far as being better is concerned, that can be debated. It has definitely improved in the area of safety, something that I wish my father could have benefited from before he passed with his lungs destroyed from the paint fumes. But let's face it, a car coming out of a factory today is painted by robots. A robot takes no pride in what it paints and it is only going to use the amount of paint dictated by the manufacturer. The manufacturers are using as little paint and clear coat as necessary to get the job done in order to squeeze a buck. So although one would think that technology has made things better, that can be debated and the advantage would probably not be to us, the consumer.

Shiny paint is a way of life, not a miracle in a bottle. You can almost look at shiny paint as what it takes to land the perfect wife. You can't just walk up and bonk her on the head and expect her to accept your ring. There's gonna be some work involved.

Now if she's into S&M....
Sad to hear about your dad. I know from a health point paints are better then they were. I work for International / Interlux Paints for around 12 years. We made paints from everything from boats to oil tankers, coal tar, bridge paints, and so on. The stuff put into them was really bad. Around 30% of our stuff could not be sold in the US. I remember in a 5 month span 8 people had heart attacks. My wife would smell the chemicals on me still over the weekends. She begged me to leave that place. Our paints change a lot over the years with all the new laws. Most of the paints before the changes lasted a lot longer. So I understand where your coming from. I think besides the paint the clear coat isn't what it once was.