View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
jm5877

Drives: 2002 Chevrolet Camaro (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Hmm... auto' or stick? If an auto', check that the smell of the tranny fluid is not burnt-like (like the smell of burning breaks.) Check the water pump. My brother replaced three water pumps on his car before 75K miles. I haven't read this is a common occurance anywhere so maybe his dealer is just crappy. Check for H20 leaks around the T-tops. Check for warped brakes. The rear pinion seal will probably be at least a little sweaty from leaking. I'd say check to see that the TSB on the knock sensors were squared away, but there's no easy way to check with the intake manifold on... Find out, if you're planning on keeping the cats' and manifolds, that the cat' TSB has been fulfilled. This is a pretty new TSB and I guess there were some problems in the past with them.

The price just sounds pretty low to me...
I can attest to checking on the first three points. I too just recently had a problem with tranny fluid leak on my '02 V6. Replaced water pump at 55,000 miles, and had all rotors turned because of warping a few months after purchasing the vehicle in Dec. 2005. If the car is equipped with factory Monsoon audio system, check that ALL speakers are working. I have had to replace every front and mid-range speaker in both my '99 Camaro and '02 Camaro. I suggest bringing along a disc that will properly test the sound system's abilities (bass). Ask the owner if he/she knows whether or not any of the window motors have been replaced, as this is another problem I have run into with two of my three 4th gen Camaros, as well as my Dad's '95 Camaro. It's usually the drivers side that goes out as it gets more use. If the motor is showing wear, it will be much slower than the passenger side while traveling back upward. A fresh alternator in the vehicle is also a good thing, most of the factory units were junk, I've replaced a couple in my 4th gens. Oh, the price seems pretty decent, there's an '01 Z28 for sale on a lot down the street from me with similar mileage in mint condition for $9,000.

2002 Coupe - V6 (Black/Ebony)

Previous Camaros:

1984 Sport Coupe - 4cyl (White/Blue)
1993 Coupe - V6 (Black/Charcoal)
1999 Coupe - V6 (Black/Charcoal)

Future Camaro:

2010 LT/RS Coupe - V6 (Black/Neutral)
jm5877 is offline   Reply With Quote