View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Flowmaster Drone on LS3 - Resolved (see thread below)!

I'm new to this forum/Camaro's in general. I just bought my 2012 SS LS3 less than 2 weeks back. I had a Flowmaster American Thunder 3" cat-back installed. I love the sound except on the highway when the drone kicks in at cruising speed (it goes away about 95mph ). The other solution of course is 5th gear.

I called around town (Houston, TX), and haven't found anyone who has actually installed the J-pipe/Helmholtz solution. Based on the Helmholtz chart, i would need a ~26" J-pipe...i'm not sure there is room under my car w/the American Thunder mufflers...the pictures on-line shows it with the Outlaw mufflers. Does the j-pipe solution quite the sound? Or simply tune out the drone?

One of the more knowledgable folks I talked to is recommending i install a Magnaflow dual 3" in/out muffler where the stock resonators used to be, of course that will quite it a bit, but he claims it will have no negative impact on performance.

I also have a CAI (from CAI inc) w/scoop coming in the mail. I've seen some post that imply the CAI may resolve the drone??? Doesn't make sense to me...should i wait to install my CAI prior to trying to resolve the drone?

Any expert recommendations? No need to recommend going back to the stock system. I want my cake and eat it too .

Last edited by PMJ; 06-10-2012 at 12:59 AM.
PMJ is offline   Reply With Quote