View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #841
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
looking forward to the changes... it will be a beauty!

-Don
I've got a few cool ideas that I will be working on as soon as I finish the metal work on the headlights.

I got a good start on them today. Cut out some of the cancer on the headlights, trimmed them back to a point where the metal is close to its original thickness. Then I cut out a couple of patch pieces and formed them with a hammer and forming dolly. Got them all trimmed down and fitted so they follow the contour of the headlight. When I have time tomorrow I'll weld them in, and clean up the welds them move on to the next area.

When I finish that, I will put small tack welds on all the factory seams. Due to the way the headlights are formed and assembled they are very tinny. By putting the tack welds on the seams it makes them much more solid and these details are what makes for a quiet, solid ride on these old cars.

I really had my fun with the Camaro and enjoyed all the fabrication I did but this is more in line with what I grew up doing and it sure feels good using a hammer, dolly and tig welder rather than glue, heat guns and epoxy. lol.
Attached Images

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote