View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 03:12 AM   #8
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
spare tire, sorted

I then went to the parts department and talked to the expert behind the counter, he really was and expert, and gave him the equivalent of the Alice’s Restaurant Massacree. He said “hey, let’s look at another year, he picked 2010 and low and behold, there was the same picture/drawing, but a different part number for the wrench. I said “sold” for $20 (cheaper than shipping back to the internet company and the difference in the wrenches). So, if you have a hex jack without a wrench, I’ll let you have mine.
Still no tire, just a jack kit, the kit did fit in the spare hole, with the compressor (I did have to trim the foam of the compressor holder to clear the jack, but a nice no rattle fit). Back to the tire. I ordered a replica wheel, 10x20, and ordered the GY super gummy 285/35-20 to go on it. The tire ended up being backordered for 6 to 8 weeks, that is a long time but with my job schedule it would work out. Once the wheel arrived, I got to thinking that the 10x20 with a tire on it is BIG and the trunk is small. I pulled one of the front tires off and tried it in the trunk, tight, but it fit through the hole. Once it was secured with the strap (found this in the owner’s manual too) made the trunk fairly useless for anything more than a soft bag or two. SO, I looked at a temp spare and spacer for everyday use, found them and got ordered. I went with the Camaro set rather than the CTS-V, 100% because of the $$$ for the CTS-V wheel, it looked nice, but I could not justify it.

Three things of importance. First, the donut had to go in the hole, this means the compressor, can’t. Second, the GY super gummy was still on a 6 to 8 week backorder, even after 6 weeks. So, I switched to a DWS 275/40-20 that they had in stock to carry on road trips. Third, I needed a spacer to get the donut spare to work with the roller skate front brakes, ended up with a 2 ½ inch spacer. Easy

EDIT
more info on the spacer here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391084
Attached Images

Last edited by h018871; 08-29-2017 at 11:19 AM.
h018871 is offline   Reply With Quote