View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #63
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
First, the Volt was always intended for a slow ramp up. You don't have to trust Dragoneye (I generally do ) but maybe you'll believe me. I worked with the Volt team in it's infancy and considering it is only available in 6 or 7 states right now, I'm not even sure where you are coming from here. If GM had intended huge initial sales, it wouldn't have limited the roll out. GM has been rushing to ramp that up and actually get national availability in the calendar year. The original roll out didn't have that until much later.

And I don't disagree on the Fiesta, but at least get the number right. MSRP is $13,300, not 12,000. Your point is valid, you just don't need to make it by underestimating the MSRP. Bad enough to trying win this conversation as it is but you are giving me and extra $1,000 hurdle. LOL

But I'll say it again, the Volt isn't just about MPG. It's about not using fuel at all. But then also having the flexibility to go where you want when you need to. Even Nissan realized this and now they will let you check out an ICE vehicle when your Leaf won't do it. I know a guy at work that is literally using no gas. You can't do that in a Fiesta, or even a Prius. With a Volt you can.
I don't work for the car industry and I don't work for Ford. I made a simple mistake on the MSRP of the Fiesta. I was out helping my wife's mother look for a car and there are multiple incentives that can be stacked right now which brings the price down on the Fiesta to around $12,000.

As for the Volt being sold in a few states, weren't they pre-ordered months in advance like the Camaro? If there was more of a demand, GM would have had many more sold and the number would be over 500 perhaps or more being shipped. Is it not true anyone can order a Volt from any dealer already? I'm hoping the Volt does well, however I like driving muscle cars as most of you. I do not want to be paying $10 to $15 a gallon on gas and be forced to buy a Volt or any other hybrid in order to survive. The price is too high for the Volt, and what the small numbers tell me is that not enough "upper class" American's are interested enough to place a pre-order for a Volt. This shows lack of interest and with all the advertising spent on the Volt so far, it hasn't been enough. In other words, even if each dealer gets a Volt in the showroom, people are not flocking over to test drive them. The price is going to have to drop before Research and development costs are made up due to people buying it at the current price premium. And I do not like the idea of our taxpayer money going into a program that is losing lots of money and will continue to lose for many years to come. and GM will lose money if the price is dropped in order to sell more of them without first making up a big chunk in early sales.