View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #59
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Drives: Camaros: 68 SS, 10 2SS/RS, 12 ZL1
Well I'd be inclined to say this weekend was productive but only because I spent a lot of hours on the car. This is my first 5th gen Camaro project and I don't know if the ZL1 is unique but dropping the oil pan to remove the oil pump and change the timing chain dampener is a royal PITA! There's so much under the engine from A/C lines to electrical harnesses that are held in place by literally LAYERS of brackets and bolts. You find yourself 3 to 4 steps removed from the main bolt you're trying to loosen simply because of everything else that needs to be removed or moved to get access to it. On top of the challenge to drop the oil pan is the fact that what timing chain tensioner to run is like a religious debate! I decided to change mine and after this weekend wonder if I wasted time doing it. But it's done and I'll live with the decision.

But I digress. So this weekend I installed the cam, older style timing chain tensioner, and the Innovators West dampener. Later this week will be the head swap.

Last edited by 1st Gen Forever; 07-22-2012 at 09:43 PM.
1st Gen Forever is offline   Reply With Quote