View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 12:32 AM   #1
ToyotaCamaro

Drives: SIM 2LT RS 6M, Toy Tacoma S-Charged
Installed a Hurst Shifter in my 2LT (No Pics)

Picked up a Hurst Short Throw Shifter and installed it today. I installed it with the factory shifter knob since the pattern is set up for a V8. Maybe later I'll pick up a new knob and use the chrome lever. 80 bucks for classic Hurst knob is crazy.

I'll start by saying this shifter is awesome. Takes a little more pressure to engage and disengage the gears but the throw is perfect.

The install is not complicated but it was a bitch!!! I watched a couple videos and read the instructions. Bezel removal, easy. Boot and knob removal, easy. Dust cover, easy. Disconnecting the shifter fork, somewhat stubborn. Removing the shifter was tough. After removing the 2 bolts, it didn't just drop out. It took a couple minutes to realize there was alignment springs holding it in there. I had to remove them which was difficult with the rubber boot in the way. Putting them back in wasn't any easier. Finally got the shifter out. Next step, pop in the new the shifter. Easier said than done. Took a lot of force to pop it in. Then having to align the holes was really challenging. After the alignment, the rest of the installation was a breeze.

I have had far more difficult installations, but I wouldn't be quick to help a buddy install another one of these.

2LT RS M6
Sunroof

- Injen Intake
- Hurst Short Throw Shifter
- Mobil 1 0W-30
- WeatherTech Extreme
- Quarter Flares
- 3M Clear Bra
- 20% Tint
- Kicker L5
ToyotaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote