View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #38
DDoug

Drives: '13 Inferno Orange ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post

One question is how well set up are you financially? Are you a warm weather person, or do you also like to do things like Skiing. Boating? Do you like beaches and the ocean or the mountains.

Personally, I like ALL types of terrain. It's why I plan to retire north of Seattle. Summers here are amazing, and I really don't mind the rain at all. I grew up in L.A., and though I love the desert, I'd prefer living in a place with plants, rivers, lakes, green trees, and ocean and snow capped mountains...all within 2 hours of Seattle.

I also don't really ever want to live in a city again...I just prefer quiet and little to no traffic. That was why I was living on Camano Island up until recently.

I would also love to live in the mountains near Denver by a nice winding river. I even know the house I want, though I have no idea if they would ever sell. Was one of the most spectacular views I've seen.
Financially, I can retire in 5 years at 51 years old, no problem, if I live my current situation and live reasonably (Based on 85% of current salary and the "4% rule." I may work longer to satisfy a couple bucket list things, like an around the world cruise. That said, to live as I do now, but in California, would cost twice my current situation, so not really an option.

I like temperate temperatures, I keep my house at 69 in winter and 76 in summer. I'd like this range of weather, lol. 100 degrees for 3 months is too hot, and I wouldn't cry if I never saw a freezing temperature again. Lows of 45 to highs of 85 with 300 days of sun would be ideal.

I've taken my most expensive vacations always in the mountains. My favorite city I've ever visited was Banff, Alberta in Canada, BUT only in the summer to fall months, way too much winter for me.

Not a boater, but I enjoy watching the boats come to dock. I find it very relaxing to hang out along Lake Michigan summer evenings watching the boats come to port, but it isn't a must.

I'm not sure I could handle the rain of Seattle. Been there once, but I've been in Vancouver for a week, twice, a total of 16 days. Saw 1 day of sun, very nice, but the rain got old.