View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #14
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
I am a US citizen (US expat) now living six years in Ottawa Ontario. During that time I imported two US cars to Ontario. So here are my observations.
First, if you are a US national, importing a car you have owned for 3 years, you should not be charged Canada taxes, you will have to pay an import fee of about $200. If not owned for 3 years, you will pay Candian taxes based on 'Red Book' value. Second, you do not automatically have to pay to have your dash gauges changed to KM versus miles. Most autos, since the mid 90s, have a dash cluster showing both miles per hour, Km per hour. If your dash cluster shows both (my 1996
Sebring LXI & 1998 Riviera showed both) you should not have to go through expense of changing. Only exception, if you buy a new US auto, export to Canada, you might have to have the US dealer make the changes which could be expensive. Follow Canadian governement auto import instructions. Might be considered a joke, but last stage in importing a US auto is take it to Canadian Tire, NOT the auto dealer!!! Can not stress this enough. Canada auto dealers might tell you that you have to change the auto cluster to KM, not true. Canada requires to you have a child safty backseat bracket. Canadian Tire, will sell this bracket to you for under $10, Canada government says it must be in the car, not installed on the car. My brackets are still in bubble wrap in the trunk!
Importing a new Camaro. GM Canada, WILL NOT, honour the warrenty for a Camaro bought new in the US and imported to Canada unless you have owned the car for 6 months plus driven about 8,000 Km (info I received direct from GM Canada). GM US will respect new car warrenty regardless if you buy in US or Canada. Ford US & Ford Canada fully respect new car warrenty regardless if you buy in US or Canada.
I just preordered a new 2011 Camaro in Ontario. I spent 3 months pricing in Canada and the US. Yes, for identical model, adjusted price based on US dollar & Candian dollar, paying more than $4,000 additional MSRP to buy in Canada. It is not the Canadian dealers are charging more, it is GM Canada charging dealers more. Sucks..a car made in Canada sells for less in the US, but it is GM Canada sticking it to dealers, and the dealers must pass on the inflated price to their Canadian consumers. I assure you Canadian dealers are not happy.
Contact me directly if you want my personal input regarding importing to Canada.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote