View Single Post
Old 12-24-2018, 12:02 AM   #38
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post
Interesting. I should probably start a separate thread discussing suspension - the pros/cons and "vs" each other in outright performance.

I did like the OEM 1LE suspension - the front end does feel very good, but I didn't like how much it rolls, and has to "take set".

I did some stupid things without really thinking it through:
-Purchased a used set of Z/28 spring/multimatics
--Did not install these. Second thoughts hit hard because of the known high rebound setting which is of course non-adjustable, and the bumpy nature of most Texas tracks. Airborne tires are not gripping. Not gripping is losing momentum.
-Purchased a barely used Ridetech HQ coilovers.
--Installed these. At first I was rather enamored with the subtle lowering (I hate the 4x4 look of the gen 5 OEM) and the handling / grip was significantly improved. A lot of that improvement I would attribute to the more aggressive alignment (-2 up front).

I think the RT are a good entry/mid level for folks that want adjustable ride height. I was hoping for more with the fox shocks, but...anyway. I'm sure higher level fox will work better

I have to believe you when you say the Z/28 setup is a more track oriented setup.

I think I just want to go to the next level and for now I'm thinking of

-MCS (proven, no brainer) track+street, capable race only choice
-Ohlins R&T street+track. Following FusionofIdeas (forum member / Z/28 racer) who has made a switch to Ohlins R&T but with soem customization for racing (perhaps just higher spring rates with appropriate valving)

Obviously there are hardcore customizable race choices, with hardcore costs from several renowned shock companies.

I'm not going there. The most I am likely to do for 2019 some track days and some casual effort time trials. If I like what the car does this season, I want go a bit more hard core with it and turn into a low budget wheel to wheel and little more serious TT'er at club/regional level.

MCS seems like my choice
Ohlins maybe. R&T is a street setup so I'm not sure it makes sense, unless with customized rates and valving like FusionofIdeas is testing in real world racing.

DSE? Looks like a well engineered package overall. JRI makes some excellent products. Spring rates seems way too low for track work with DOT-R or Hoosiers. I'm guessing this would be an amazing setup for a street car with a few track weekends per year. I realize they've been making cars handle well for a long time with great results and feedback (especially with older muscle cars), and do some racing here and there, but I don't hear about DSE being used by competitive racers at national level of autox, time trial, or wheel to wheel. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Maybe it just doesn't matter. I do realize DSE knows a heck of a lot more than I ever will about suspension. I just don't think it's likely the right choice for my goals.

I still need some education from y'all that have done a lot more with the Gen5. I'm late to the game, but I'm going to stick with this old boat for a while and see how it goes
I actually like the 1LE suspension at COTA. The biggest game changers for me were the solid cradle bushings and TrueTrac. I am also using the Gen6 spec Goodyear F1 Supercar G3s and really like them. The G3Rs from the ZL1 1LE would be better. Previously I was on Michelin PS4s on 19x11/19x10fr and just melted them - different, better car on the GYs in stock 1LE 20", though 19x11s up front clearly work for the ZL1 1LE and z28.

Before the bushing change I was having a tough time keeping my foot down through 16-17-18. The bump at 18 got me sideways a couple of times with the bouncy stock bushings. The stock clutch diff locking (I think) mid corner was unsettling as well.