View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 04:11 AM   #277
WCFB-Russ

Drives: ?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Are you asking what the Z and 28 mean in the name? or are you asking if we know what the original car was?

I don't know of any particular meaning behind the alpha-neumeric code, unlike with say the Olds 4-4-2. What I do know is that Z28 was the regular production order that you had to ask for to get the street version of the trans am series race car. It had a 302 cu (5L) small block V8 that was rev happy. The cars also came with a very good suspension setup as well, making them some of the best handling cars of the day.
the title "Z28" is actually an RPO code.

RPO Z28:

Z28 Special Performance Package; includes 302cid V-8 engine, closed positive ventilation, dual exhaust with deep tone mufflers, special front and rear suspension, heavy-duty radiator and temperature controlled fan, quick ratio steering, 15x6-inch wheels, 7.35x15 nylon red stripe tires, 3.73:1 ratio axle and special paint stripes on hood and rear deck (requires 4-speed close ratio transmission, power brakes, front disc brakes or HD front disc brakes with metallic rear brakes; positraction recommended; Sport Coupe V-8 only) 602 358.10

my dad had a 1969 Z28 from 1969-1970 (had to sell it) - hugger orange with white stripes and a 4spd manual. he loved that car and always hated that he had to give it up.

what sucks is that the "Z28" has stopped meaning anything and is just a badge on the car now to mean "v8". like GT is to mustangs...