View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 08:08 PM   #9
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I'm gonna get ripped apart for saying this, but I have a different perspective about HP. Coming from a C6 ZR1 Corvette, which I thought had too much HP for the street, I'm perfectly happy with the 505 horses resident in the Z/28's LS7. Now, I've only had the car for a few months, so it's reasonable to think that down the road I'll want more, but I love the fact that I feel I can use ALL of that HP for my particular driving. If I was a track junkie, I'm sure I'd want more, but my driving is limited to 8/10s spirited mountain driving. With my ZR1 I never ever felt in 1st or 2nd gear that I could floor it, even with traction control on, because I'd spin the tires......in my opinion, that's the definition of too much power for the street, but that's just me. Not so with the Z/28.....I really like that I can floor it in 1st gear and all I get, even with traction control completely off, is acceleration (swapped the stock Trofeos for 305 front and 325 Michelin Pilot Super Sport rears). So I guess my answer is whatever HP causes the rears to go up in smoke in 1st gear is too much (I'm talking about from a slow roll). You might say, "Well, as the tires wear out you'll eventually smoke them in 1st gear." I guess at that point I'd need new tires. I never, ever thought I would think this, until I had my ZR1.....I just felt that in lower gears I could never really use all the power available, and it kinda bugged me (what really bugged me was that I NEVER felt fully comfortable driving the car with traction control fully off, I was always worried about spinning out).....again, this is just me.......I like the fact that I can drive the Z with everything off and not really worry about spinning out because of too much HP going to the rear tires.....that to me is the definition of having a blast with a car with the right amount of HP. Fully admit I am not a trained race car driver so I am not some highly skilled dude that can just hang it out.....the Z/28 is more capable than I am and I absolutely love it!
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote