View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
Good53X

Drives: 1988Nissan Pulsar (meh,beater)
Actually, the large arguement for HCCI is the improvement in emissions.

Normally combusted gasoline burns, producing HEAT andthus NOx emissions. HCCI doesn't burn the charge, but actually harnesses the compression energy to combust the entire charge simultaneously. Because it doesn't technically *burn* (like in a diesel) there is actually very little heat produced.

They already have these engines running, but only for certain drive cycles. They are working on a way to get them to run under more conditions.

Essentially, using computer controlled forced induction and constantly monitoring cylinder temperature, intake charge temperature, and barometric pressure they can calculate how much intake duration (valve control) they need to get the engine to 'knock' at the right time.

Differenced between this and diesel... Much lighter block, less torque (no sustained burn). Ignition timing isn't adjustable by adjusting fuel, it's all computer controlled.

I don't know if that made any sense, but when I learned about this technology in class I geeked out. I'd be more excited in looking at what kind of POWER you can get out of your V8 than what kind of fuel economy you can get. HCCI engines produce vastly more power than standard combustion because of the energy that isn't lost as heat. However the engine sounds a little different :S
Good53X is offline   Reply With Quote