Thread: Dr. Colorchip
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
phdjent
Evan "FRESHAYR"

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51, 2014 Jeep SRT
OK here ya go. I had some time tonight to try out the Dr. ColorChip on both vehicles. Here's how the damage happened. One door into the other.

Camaro door edge. Two spots to repair. One spot was from a previous mishap.

I had to re apply the touch up paint 3 times because every time I used the blending solution, it would wipe the touch up paint right off. I wasn't wiping particularly hard and I definitely waited long enough before wiping but it still came right off. I finally got it to kinda stay on after wiping and luckily it's not too noticeable on the door edge.

Now the Jeep door is a different story.

Right in the middle of the door makes it much more difficult to conceal. After a few times of applying, unintentionally wiping off the paint and then re applying, I got it to stay on. It's an improvement but you definitely still can see where the spot was. It was very hard to get an after picture because the flash on the camera would reflect in the spot and it looked white. From about 5 feet away it looks like a small blemish or water spot.

My final opinion is that for very small spots and I mean very small spots, this product is definitely worth the $39. That's exactly what you get, a $39 fix. Not perfect but at least it fills in the color. For anything larger than grain of rice, it's not gonna cut it. Make your decision based on where your chip is and how big it is. The Camaro door edge is passable but the middle of the Jeep door really wouldn't be good enough for any car show. You can still see where the spot was, however, it's good enough to not jump out at me every time I get into the car.