View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 08:37 AM   #20
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
First off, let me say that I love my 2016 SS Camaro. Its an amazing performance car, and a big jump better in all things performance over the 5th gen (which I also owned). Definitely the best all around performance pony car today.

2nd, I believe Chevy would of course love to outsell Mustang, but they'd rather make profit, so they chose price them higher to make a higher profit per vehicle than Ford. This is absolutely true as data proves it. That said, at this point the sales are probably lower than where Chevrolet would like to see them.

Next, price is still a factor (you can still get yourself into a V8 Mustang cheaper than a V8 Camaro) but its less of a factor with the 2018 models. Once you throw in a few features/performance options to match the Camaro, the Mustang is just as pricey, and in some cases even more expensive than Camaro when looking at MSRP.

For me, it comes down to several things (not in any order of importance):

1) Price. Said above. MSRP is irrelevant. Its what you pay at the dealer. Nobody should ever pay close to MSRP on these cars unless you're ordering some special model, but you can certainly get a V8 Mustang cheaper. If they still had an over-abundance of Camaros and were running red tag sales like at the close of the 2016 model year, I'd argue you can get a Camaro for just as cheap, but you don't see amazing deals like that as much right now.

2) Practicality. Camaro is the worst at this. Not a surprise the best sports car is also the least practical. Mustang isn't practical either, but its just a bit better in most ways the Camaro, so there's another issue. (By the way, arguing that these types of cars need to be more "family friendly" is a silly argument if you ask me, but its a real thing, so its relevant)

3) Looks. Now, I think my 2016 Camaro is BAD ASS looking. Holy crap I love the way it looks, and it gets attention too. But it was just an evolution of the 5th gen...that combined with the next point, I think hurts sales.

4) Advertising. I'm sorry nay-sayers, but GM has completely failed in advertising this car. I've seen at least three to four different Mustang commercials in the past year or two. There is a new one out right now of a young women driving an orange version and its a good commercial. She drops her child off at school (rolling through in touring mode in the school zone). Later, she comes to a stop light with some dude showing interest in her...she puts in in Sports, the exhaust gets loud and she peels off. Camaro has gotten nothing (on tv at least). They could have easily created an exciting TV ad showing off a little bad-assery all while touting its world class handling, power, and technology. Nope.

I hope for the best in the 7th gen. I honestly feel like if they do end up adding back in more space, making the car a bit more practical, improving visibility and keeping price the same or better...will the car actually perform as well as the 6th gen? That my friends, is a HUGE task. Lets hope that the Alpha 2 platform can add a little size without sacrificing weight or handling.