View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #13
3BVert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSHugger View Post
Just out of curiousity... with the AFM tuned out how much of a change did you notice in MPG? Probably went down but by how much??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
How do you go about turning off the AFM ? Does it take a tuner to get the job done?

Sled
I tuned mine out with a DiabloSport Predator (~$300). It's about a 10 minute DIY job. With their 93 Octane tune and AFM turned off, the MPG seems to be a wash. Picked up some milage with the tune and then lost some by turning off AFM. I filled up last night and the DIC average MPG over two tanks of gas (50/50 city/highway) was 18.8.

There's a lot of debate about whether applying the Predator tune will void your powertrain warranty so that's something to consider. To me, AFM was so obnoxious that I decided to take the chance. I gave the dealer an opportunity to fix it but all they could say was "it may be normal" so I decided to take the plunge and fix it myself. I'd rather gamble on a warranty issue in the next 5 years and have a car that drives like it should versus suffering through AFM all that time. Some say that they don't even notice it but both my wife and I could not stand AFM. GMs implementation on the Camaro is horrible. My Tahoe has AFM and you'd never know it. Why they can't do better on the Camaro is beyond me.