View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 08:28 AM   #7
TheInfamouSS
@LS.ACE

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 2SS/1LE
Project Darkness and the Z/28 Wing

So after finally being able to make a somewhat decent pass with my car , I figured I would finally get to doing the few other aesthetic mods I really wanted to do with the car. After ordering a spoiler and wing king Z/28 style spoiler off of amazon, some plasti-dip, a can of nite shades, and a nice set of headlight tint from Big Worm Graphix, I was ready to go. The project seemed like it was going to be an easy one, so i figured I would start off early in the day and be done by night time. So I jacked up the front of my car and proceeded to take off the bumper.

Name:  Bumper Off - 1.jpg
Views: 2346
Size:  171.9 KB

The most important part of this project was to black out the chrome trim. I had already removed the chrome Camaro fender badging a couple of weeks prior, and was ready to finish the project. At first I had thought about going with the z/28 grille, but I liked the way that the stock upper grill matched with the lower, so blacked out trim was what I decided to go with. Everything about taking off the bumper was self explanatory. But when they tell you the clips for the chrome trim are a PITA they are not lying. Messing with those clips and being careful to not break them off took so long I had to finish the project the next day. I ended up bringing my bumper inside my house and removing the trim in my living room so i could take my time. I know that I could have masked off the bumpers and spray the chrome trim with plastic-dip, but i knew if i could see any small exposed area (even if nobody else would be able to spot it) it would drive me crazy, so I wanted to remove the trim and just do it right the first time.

The next morning I was able to get everything else finished. I sprayed some nite shades on my foglights so that they would match the headlight tint that I was going to put on, and I used black plasti-dip to paint the chrome trim that I removed from the bumper. Using plasti-dip for this project ended up working out great (it was the first time I ever used it), because it matched perfectly with the trim of the car.

This is where I was at so far:

Name:  Black Trim And Fogs - 1.jpg
Views: 2401
Size:  286.9 KB

The first time I put the upper grille piece back on, I could not get the middle of the trim to line up against the bumper properly. I am sure there is an easier way to do it, but being that it was August, it was extremely humid outside, and I was tired of messing with the chrome trim so I decided to just keep hitting the inside of the bumper where the trim and tabs meet with a rubber mallet and at some point it ended up clicking into place. Pretty sure it's not the right way to do it. But if it works, it works.

Now that the hard part was out of the way I decided to install my z/28 style spoiler from Spoiler and Wing King next. I ordered it in the matte black to match the old spoiler and the rest of the 1/le look, and it looked amazing. Even compared next to my friends authentic z/28 spoiler you couldn't even tell the difference. I would definitely recommend it to anyone. Word of advice though when taking off the stock ss spoiler. Either be very careful or have a second person do it with you. I didn't realize how much force that clip had in that spoiler so I had to give it a really hard tug and ended up smacking myself right in the face and the spoiler falling on the ground (luckily missing the car in the process). Yes it hurt, yes it messed up the old spoiler, yes the inside of my lip was bleeding, so obviously I just kept working, and the rest of the install was a piece of cake.

I then borrowed the parking spot in front of my house real quick to snap this photo and run an extension cord outside to put the headlight tint on that I got from Big Worm Graphix.

Name:  z28 spoiler - 1.jpg
Views: 2470
Size:  223.5 KB

The headlight tint had to be the absolute easiest part of the install. Big Worm definitely has some high quality film that he uses for his products, and the results came out looking amazing.

All in all I can say it was a successful project and the results came out looking amazing (if I must say so myself)

Name:  All Blacked Out - 1.jpg
Views: 2419
Size:  236.0 KB

Name:  side shot - 1.jpg
Views: 2467
Size:  383.4 KB
TheInfamouSS is offline   Reply With Quote