View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Opinions on Challenger Vs. Camaro exhaust only

I drove a Challenger R/T and a 2010 Mustang GT yesterday, and the one thing I LOVED about the Challenger was the exhaust note, and what I didn't like about the Mustang GT was that the exhaust really was not ballsy enough (there were a couple things I didn't really like/liked a lot about both cars but I won't get into that).

My take on the Chally exhaust: The exhaust was really audible and solid on start up, acceleration, coasting, downshifting, and there's this effect that I loved when you're coasting and drop it into neutral in which the exhaust note has a really solid drop off through the RPM band as opposed to being louder/softer in certain parts of the band. I and my passengers really loved that about the Chally.

My take on the Mustang GT exhaust: "Conservative" is the best word I can use to describe it. I expected a more solid note out of a V8; that does not necessarily mean a louder one. I noticed that as you rev it, it will tend to drown out at some points and then increase at higher RPMS. I also couldn't hear it drop when you drop the car into neutral at a coast. The biggest disappointment was that I tended to focus on a small amount of tranny whine (I feel that's normal for most cars) but that also means the exhaust was not catching your attention.

I have not driven an SS yet, furthermore, most of the Chevy dealerships in my area are being jackasses about test drives. So my question for those of you who have the SS and have at least driven the Chally and Mustang GT, how "conservative" do you think the stock SS exhaust is? Is it ballsy-er than the Mustang? Is it as solid or better than the Chally R/T?

And I did plenty of searches on youtube and this site for the video/sound comparisons and I feel they don't do any car justice at all (too much distortion, clipping, etc.). I could go into a technical explanation of why but that would be annoying lol. I want opinions of people who have experienced them in person.

P.S. I AM NOT LOOKING TO START A FLAME WAR.
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote