View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #34
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERHAWK View Post
Well, the 98 Grand Prix that I had with bad dexcool was less than 3 yrs old with I think 38,000 miles and there wasn't a damn thing wrong with that car it went to the dealer for all its scheduled maintenance. If it had a leak then no one found it and it didn't show it self when they changed out the bad dexcool. I've never had another failure with it, but then again I haven't waited 5 yrs to change it either.
Here is what happened. The cause of the sludge is operating the vehicle with low coolant levels over long periods of time. Your car had a air leak in the system at some point most likely the cap causing these low levels of coolant. You would never know it. This exposes hot engine components to air and vapors, causing corrosion and contamination of the coolant with iron oxide particles and this is the sludge that everyone is talking about with dex-cool. Now you mentioned you never had a problem after that. Well, like you said, you didn't wait for long periods of time to allow anything to happen thus you prevented the problem from ocurring again.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote