View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
Arrow FAQ Camaro Winter Tires - Wheel/Tire Thread 2017-2018 *

So you want to use your car in the winter but it has summer tires, lots of horspower and rear wheel drive. What to do? The Tire Rack has options to fit all different 10/11 Camaro options. In this thread I will do my best to answer questions regarding anything winter.

Why do winter tires work so much better in the snow? A winter tire needs 3 things to work well in snow/ice. First is tread depth. Snow tires come with more tread depth than summer tires. Second is tread design. Most tires come with a directional style tread that evacuates slush and snow. Also if you look at the tread blocks of a snow tire there is much more siping to claw and bite the snow and ice. Third is the tread compound. A snow tire has a cold weather compound that stays flexible in very cold weather. A summer and/or all season tire become hard and unable to grip.
The First picture shows a new tire at 11/32nds of tread depth the 2nd picture show a tire approaching the winter tread bar at 6/32nds of tread depth and the last picture shows a tire at 2/32nds which is worn out for dry use. Tread depth why too little is never enough.

But do I need winter tires. The answer is yes. Click here to find out why.

My car is rear wheel drive so can I use just do two rear snow tires. Bad idea while its true the rear tires will get you moving how are you going to stop or steer? Four winter tires the only way to go.

Winter Tire FAQS

Start your winter tire search here.

Why consider a wheel and tire package? Its expensive to have winter tires mounted/and unmounted twice a year. With a package its easy to do the switch over yourself. Remember all of our packages come with the mounting hardware and are mounted & Hunter Road Force balanced for free.

Find wheel and tire packages for your car here.

I have had lots of questions regarding the 10/11 SS models. As long as you do not have the Roller skate brake pads I have 18 inch wheels that will fit. You will need to call me on these as we do not list them on the website. Keep in mind if you ever change to the roller skate pad these wheels will no longer work. Also if you have the factory wheels which are 9 inches wide in the rear the 245/45R20 Blizzak LM 25 works great front and rear for winter.

I live in the snow belt and have lots of knowledge with the snow tires we sell so I can help you find what will best fit your needs.

Feel free to contact me with questions. I am here to help. Everyone please feel free to add input to this thread!!

Last edited by Rudy@Tirerack; 10-06-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote