View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #994
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post

HOF you are someone I consider to be my friend though we have never actually met. I completely hear you about the entitlement generation. I deal with it daily. I agree there are some realities we as car owners have to face when it comes to the loss of value of our cars when we drive off the lot. I have been personally financially burned several times by total losses of pretty new vehicles & had to deal with pay-off of loans in excess of the amount insurance paid me for the loss of the vehicle.

HOWEVER, this situation is different in many ways. I have loved all my cars to some degree or other. But this one has become a member of the family in a way unlike any other I have ever owned. That is the experience of many folks on this forum. In addition to that, the OP bought a very high end Camaro which is much less commonplace than say my Camaro though perhaps not quite the collector level vehicle you have expertise with. Most of us on this forum buy the most Camaro we can afford then gradually put more into it. We treasure and baby them and do a lot to help further the sales of the cars by our love for them.

The OP entrusted his beloved Camaro to the dealership. An act of trust that makes most of us crenge and some avoid like the plague. We fear just unthinking acts like the time a tech leaned my tire against the fragile paint on the side of my car. Something he probably does daily and most folks don't mind. I MINDED! There are lots of stories about techs taking people's performance cars on joy rides under the guise of test driving them. Sometimes they have minor accidents. This is the only time I have heard of one being totaled. I am sure it is not the only time it has ever happened. The practice needs to be curtailed much more than it currently is at all dealerships. I am for sure not bashing all techs or GM service departments generally. My local dealership has a great service dept, but I still hang close by & watch because it only takes one unthinking, careless or like in this case totally irresponsible and werckless tech to mess up your car. I have great friends who are GM techs & whom I know would treat my car like it was their own baby. Having been in supervisory positions myself, I know that even the most trusted employee can do some surprisingly stupid things.

The dealership assumed responsibility for this guys beloved high end
Camaro and one of their employees took it out for a joy ride, droe it wrecklessly and destroyed it. They need to step up and make it right for the OP. In this case, that is just the right thing to do. Period.
Ruby, I love my Camaro same as anyone else, but I keep it in perspective that it's just a car. It can be replaced. That's why having the proper insurance coverage on a car of this type is so important.

I think what we've all failed to realize is that someone could have been seriously hurt or even killed as a result of this incident (even if it was caused by their own poor judgement). I think we all can agree it would have been a far bigger tragedy had there been the loss of life instead of just the loss of a car.

Last edited by hawk02; 01-12-2014 at 10:52 AM.