Thread: Socal BS Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #31059

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
...A couple of other posts about the insurance stuff for your consideration...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503
Interesting....always wonder about this....even "non-racing" events still post lap times, in order, sort of like a "first place to last place" list...a faster lap time gets you placed towards the front of your run group...kind of makes it "competitive".....lol...

seems "racing" could be not totally clearly defined....or subject to interpretation....maybe not so bad for mechanical warranty as opposed (and hopefully not confused) with insurance and liability...lol....

An event host publicly displaying timing sheets runs the risk of causing their attendees track collision insurance (if they have it) to be voided. I understand exactly what you are referring to, for example Speed Ventures does that. It's still an HPDE event as the times are not for the explicit purpose of scoring a competitive event. A manufacturer should understand this as well and therefore these times should not affect warranty.

Cars in a Time Attack type event where cars run explicitly competitively for time would usually not be covered by warranty. Maybe you get lucky and the dealer covers it, but the door is open for a decline.

In regards to insurance (vs warranty): Anyone driving their car on a "racing surface" for any reason would be strongly advised to contact their insurance agent beforehand or to plan on being self-insured from the moment they do until they leave the "surface". There are a couple insurance companies who explicitly cover HPDE events such as Lockton-Affinity.

Someone will want to argue this but the 99% true fact is, unless your insurance extends incredible one-time goodwill, street insurance will not cover on-track crash damage.

None of this should a grey area for a given event when subjected to objective consideration, it should be easy and straightforward for a driver to determine what kind of risk he is subjecting himself to for a given event. An on-track crash, not covered by insurance, of a financed car can be a catastrophically life changing event. Don't trust internet know-it-alls, do your homework.

I've personally done over 100 track days with a variety of hosts and I've hosted my own events so what I write is from that perspective.