View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #182
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
The sliding calipers on the V-6 actually have slightly more piston surface area (F: 1 x 60mm / R: 1 x 45mm) than the fixed Brembos on the SS (F: 44mm/40mm / R: 32mm/28mm). The number of pistons is only part of the equation. As a result, the SS calipers require slightly more line pressure for the same clamping load, but those calipers are also squeezing down on larger discs. I don't have time to run all the math right now, but I can see just by looking that the disc diameter difference will outweigh the small piston area differences. In total, it's probably not that much different than the V6.

6% is the difference in M/C diameter. 10.1% is the difference in piston surface area, which is what creates fluid pressure and flow (Area = pi * radius^2). The larger the M/C, the less line pressure for a given pedal effort, but the more fluid it moves per unit of piston travel.

If using the setup you described (SS calipers with V6 M/C), it will require 10% less pedal effort, but also 10% more pedal travel than if using the SS M/C. Of course, this assumes that the caliper deflection is equal. I haven't measured it, but I would hazard a guess that the OE Brembos (not the stiffest ones in their stable) are still stiffer than the V6 sliders, as those are on rubber bushings. Consequently, some unknown (by me) portion of that 10% loss in pedal travel is probably gained back. The stiffer calipers will have no effect on pedal effort.

Is this clear or am I mucking the explanation all up?
No, I got it this time. I'm just trying to justify the $150 for the SS MC.

I assume a small amount of travel from the OEM setup will be reduced by adding the braided lines. Maybe 2%?

I'd still like to do the CTS-V clampers... or Lockheeds if I could find a good price, then I guess the SS MC would be better. It sucks being poor! LOL!

Guess I'll just have to work more OT and spring for the SS MC.

Thanks for the info... I appreciate it.