View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #13
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by C377 View Post
Some times simple things can make a difference.

Make sure you press the clutch all the way when when you change gears. Make sure that you floor mat will not interfere with the clutch.
Make sure that when you change from 2nd to 3rd you do not "push" BUT that you insert 3rd gear. Same when you are down shifting.

Bad habits can become expensive over time, and once a clutch, flywheel( I still think they should use a dual flywheel) or any other transmission element start to wear off there is not much you can do with your habits anymore.

The dealers, will not notice such noise, or will not want to notice such noise. This type of wear is not shown in the computer warning systems, so it is just a subjective problem at the moment. Dohhhh!!!

Questions. Did you remove the skip shift? did you do any other modifications?
Yup, simple things are sometimes the answer... but... I do push the clutch in all the way, no floor mat issues and I do not ride around with my foot resting on the clutch etc... ( That destroys the throwout bearing, which disengages the clutch when you press the clutch pedal for those that don't know...)

There is a known issue with the synchronizers in a few of these Tremec trannies. GM has been very good about replacing them to my knowledge, hence, I am not worried about it. I am dealing with a dealer technician that hasn't ridden around much in my car nor has he driven it more than a few miles....

If you are the primary operator and you don't notice issues develop over time, then you are paying too much attention to the cell phone or something else.... Lets see, put in gas, press on gas pedal, go...

It isn't that simple... I don't talk on the cell phone, I pay attentioon to the situation around me, like where I'm going, whats around me, (what is the idiot on the cell phone, drinking coffee, eating a donut, typing in an address on the GPS, changing clothes and reading the daily brief for the latest social event all at the same time, going to do...) road conditions etc...

Some things can be simplified, but as a mechanical engineer, that has to pay attention to details, I also understand when something isn't as it should be...My transmission is sick, the dealer technician hasn't recognized it yet, so I'm waiting for it to either break, (new transmission) or for it to get bad enough for them to recognize it...(new transmission). Am I looking for a handout... uhmm no, the car is brand new, 1600 miles, and I am not going to drive a car that makes this much improper noise for a 100,000 miles or more... I've ridden in other Camaros, and none of them make this noise...Other Camaro owners have ridden with me and said WTF ???

As for finding the correct gear selection slot... thats a non issue as I have the MGW shifter installed and it virtually will not allow you to go to the wrong place...It is a little demanding going from 5th to 6th, but thats by design and will loosen up with usage. All shifters (mechanical moving objects) develop a little slop, and so when this one loosens up, it should be perfect... Love it, wouldn't change it for anything...

Kudo's to George for a Great Product... It's a mechanical homerun IMO...

Now I'm just waiting for GM to figure out my trans is sick and then I'll have a new one with hopefully no problems...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote