View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #213
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
A dealership doesn't necessarily have to eat the cost of repairs. First of all, an oil pump replacement requires zero approval. Do work, submit claim, claim pays. Secondly if they do get their rep involved, and do the whole report the calibration/block the warranty thing... that only "blocks" unauthorized claims. Who is to say, the tech couldn't tear the engine down, do a root cause diagnosis... and if it is a factory defect - then contact the rep and request approval based on the problem is a documented defect and not modification caused.

When I was a dealer tech, we did that on several occasions. Just have to have your ducks in a row and all the facts documented. Not unheard of for a dealer to go to bat and request assistance from the rep for a situation the customer is deserving of help with. If then diagnose it as modification caused, then of course the customer is no question responsible for that bill.

Read the bulletin closely. "Unauthorized" claims under the "remaining warranty" are blocked if they do the report the modded calibration thing. Exact quoted words from the bulletin.

So then - under what circumstances would claims be "authorized". I would think a reasonable person might assume - factory defects.

First step though is to tear it down and diagnose the facts of what is really wrong. And on a modified car, probably going to need to pay out of pocket for that. Then go from there on what to do based on the facts of what is really diagnosed, parts in hand, bulletins in hand.... ask for them to review the facts with their rep.

If they've reviewed it before even a tear down/diagnosis... I'd be not so happy about that. And when the facts do come in - if it is a factory defect - pursue it further with BBB arbitration.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote