View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 10:04 PM   #14
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbarberoilman View Post
People jumped all over me when I talked about better gears for my 2SS Auto. Depends what you want. I can not see this car suffer much with a stiff gear. It has that 6 speed trans folks. Think about it. We used to run 3 gears in a turbo 400. Besides not all of us need to go 170 MPH, especially when the plastic front end destoys itself at 155 anyway. PLEASE list any mods needed to upgrade. Anyone that does it PLEASE list costs, mods needed to keep everything else happy and of course performance differences. I want more from my car and it should be relatively easy to get this car scary with just gears and another 100 horses.
I would do a lot of things before I put gears in the Automatic car. Think about it, you are already using 4 gears to go through the 1/4. And the first gear is very low on that trans. You are right that it will not suffer much on the highway with a change in gears, but I don't think it will really be a great performance boost. Now on the M6 car, I think a gear swap will be very worthwhile. Think about it, you are running up against the rev limiter on that car at the track, and will probably have to shift into 4th right at the end of the 1/4 if you add any power.

If I had the automatic car I think the best money would be spent doing the exhaust first, Long tube headers, etc., then the next step would be to get rid of the AFM cam and lifters, and put a decent cam in there. This should get you to 475 crank hp without much trouble, and you could move the rev limiter up to at least the 6600 limit of the LS3. Hell, our 01 z28 auto had a 2.73 rear and only used 2 gears through the 1/4 mile-now that car needed some gears!

And BTW, the plastic front end was a preproduction part, the issue was addressed on all consumer cars. Feel free to do 155 on your daily commute.