View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #157
orthojoe

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Then we see what happens on a "test lap".... not an endurance race.
Other than bench racing and silly bragging rights, who is going to care a about a single 'test lap' if it can't be done reliably and consistently? I guess the ZL1 guys that never take their cars to the track can say yeah, my car is just is fast or faster than your Z/28 around a track if I put on trofeos. People that do track their cars regularly understand how brutal it can be on a car and that fighting heat and keeping a car consistent/reliable is much more important than a one lap wonder car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Tires are very important but I think a lot of people are only focusing on what they want to.

This to me is much more important than just tires....

“We used the very best components in the industry to deliver uncompromised performance, lap after lap,” said Mark Stielow, Camaro Z/28 engineering manager. “We made nearly 200 changes to improve the track performance, which cumulatively make the Z/28 capable of 1.05 g in cornering. For perspective, with all other things, equal increasing maximum grip from 1 to 1.05 g can cut up to four seconds per lap.”

The Camaro Z/28 is the one of the first production cars fitted with race-proven, spool-valve dampers. Compared to a conventional damper that offers only two-way tuning for bump and rebound, a spool-valve damper allows four-way adjustment to precisely tune both bump and rebound settings for high-speed and low-speed wheel motions. The wider tuning range allowed engineers to dramatically increase the damper stiffness on the Camaro Z/28 without a significant change in ride quality. Additional chassis changes include stiffer string rates and suspension bushings for improved cornering response.
Sums up what I just typed above just as well.
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote