View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Installed Modified AAC LED side markers/turn signals

Hi All,

In a previous post, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96213 I showed you how to install the AAC LED dual-intensity circuit for the AAC side markers to make them blink with the turn signals.

I am happy to report that I now have the two front AAC modified LED side markers/turn signals installed in my car.

As you can see from the video I took off the clear lenses from the AAC LED side markers, and then took the lenses off the original turn signals to put on the AAC ones to make it look stock. It’s a personal thing and I liked it better that way.

To get to the front side markers turn the steering wheel so that you can get access to the three Torx screws on the inner fender liner along the side of the side marker. Remove the three Torx screws starting from the bottom and working your way up. Gently pry back the inner fender shield to get your hand in there. You will need just a bit of clearance to get you hand by the side marker. Using a 6” flat bladed screw driver to push on the tab through a small slot facing the passenger firewall. The side marker will come out, but be careful not to scratch the paint. There is a small tab on the plug that locks the wiring harness to the side marker. Using a small jewelers flat bladed screw driver gently pry up on the tab and pull the harness off the side marker.

Before you install the new modified LED side marker you will need to connect a 16 ga black wire about 3 feet to the Red wire from the new marker. I chose black wire so that it blends in more in the engine compartment. You can do this in one of three ways. Solder the wires together and use 1/8" shrink tubing over the soldered connections, use a butt-connector to crimp the two wires together, or in my case I wanted to be able to disconnect the wire from the new marker in case I needed to take off the front fascia so I used a solder type single contact molded male/female connector that is water tight. If you want to go this route PM me and I can give you the part numbers and place I bought mine from.

The reason I had you take off the three Torx screws was so that you can fish the wire from the AAC LED side marker through the inner fender shield into the engine compartment. Install the new side AAC LED side marker and make sure that the wire coming from the new modified side marker clears the opening that the marker will go into. Take the end of the wire that is lose and find an opening to the engine compartment to put the wire through. This is a bit of trial and error, but will not take too long.

You need to disconnect the turn signal bulb. On the driver’s side it is a bit interesting as you need to move the air scoop from the stock air box to get to the turn signal bulb. To do this it is easiest if you open the air box, remove the filter and you will see the air scoop sitting towards the front of the air box. Press in on either side to release the tabs that hold it in place and gently push the air scoop into the air box as far as it can go. You will now have access to the turn signal bulb on the driver’s side.

Once the bulb is out there is a plastic black wiring wrap around the wires. This wrap has a slit in it to put the wires for the turn signal through. You will want to put the new wire into that wiring wrap if possible of if you want to do it down and dirty just ty-wrap the wire to the outside. Again I was going for a factory look. About 4” from the turn signal bulb peel back the wrap that houses the wires for the turn signal. The wire you want is the Blue/White wire. For this I used a splice-connector. The Blue/White wire goes towards the outside while the black wire goes towards the inner side where there is a stop for it. Using a pair of pliers you will compress the metal tab into the wires. Once that is done you can close the splice-connector.

Try out your new modified AAC LED side markers and turn signals. A bonus from all of this is now when you set your car alarm not only will the turn signals blink, but also the new LED side markers.

Pull out the air scoop so that it locks back in place again, and install the air filter and close up the box. Now if you have a CAI installed your directions to get to the driver's bulb might be different, and I will leave you to figure out how do that to you. Now go do the other side and enjoy the new modified AAC LED side markers and your new turn indicators.

If anyone has any questions post them or shoot me a PM.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.

Last edited by GearHeadPeter; 08-04-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Embed Video
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote