View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 01:33 AM   #93
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2acer View Post
Anyone have trouble with the HURST brass bushings not fitting correctly? mine will only go in half the way and is now stuck.
I used a vice. Aligned one on one side and pressed it in, then did the other. The problem I found was that with the brass bushings with the rubber rings, the rings popped out of the rivets and got smushed in between the brass rivet edge and the fork. Therefore, it created a tiny gap on either side which ended up causing a pain in my ass trying to get that fork to slide on on either side. There wasn't enough room.

I had to use a razor, catch the edge of the rubber ring, pull out as much as I could, and then press that somnabitch with all my might. It pushed them in near all the way and then I hauled @ss to get the shifter in and fork on before what rubber was left in the rings pushed it back out.

But it worked....and worked well. NO play. I'd use a press or vice if I was you. There's really on reason it shouldn't continue to go in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor3141 View Post
Just installed NH-SS's brass bushings yesterday. Burnishing was a PIA but, got it done. The problem I ran into was getting the fork perfectly aligned with the shifter to get the pin installed because the tolerances are so close. EXACTLY.

Word of caution: I had developed a rattle in my shifter and wasn't sure what it was. When I went to remove the shifter, I found that both retaining screws has fallen out and were lying in the dust boot. Maker sure you get plenty of lock-tight (supplied with the shifter) on the threads when installing.
And never expect to take them out. Talk about a PITA!!!
The result of the new bushing install wasn't even comparable. There is now NO play in the shift handle at all. Feels great.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote