View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm sure it's going to be particularly tough through the 2012 MY. I have no idea how the allocations will work out, but I'm sure it's going to be really tough to get MSRP. I'm sure that will relax a little more in '13 and on. GM can stand to lose the customers they say they want to bring over from other brands, but if they don't make enough cars to fulfill the "faithful's" demand, why would outside buyers want to wait. They probably should've just waited to call it a '13, but I believe part of the reason to stick to '12 is for CAMARO's 45th. I can't blame them.

With all due respect to anyone and everyone: I know that we've been waiting a super-long time. It's been tough - delays with SS and V6 models, ragtops, then the 5.0 coming along and doing very well, then the annoucement from the Dearborn bunch about the return of their Supervisor... It's easy for people to point to the Dearborn car and say they are on point and are making cars for everyone and all that. They didn't have some of the stumbling blocks CAMARO has had to endure. The biggest of which I think were back in '02 when CAMARO was on a little vacation until it's return in '09, and then with the money trouble that still effects everyone today. The 5th Gen is a new car and with the vacation, development fell short, relative to the Philly. GM's been fighting to continually improve CAMARO since it's return, changes with HUD, back-up alert systems, Synergy model, and other goodies I can't think of in '11, and even more developments for suspension, engines, and more luxuries in '12 for existing models, let along a completely updated (33% on top of SS) ZL1. It's not like they're being lazy. Making improvements to the ENTIRE line in '12 in addtion to bringing ZL1 on probably really pushed the limits of Team CAMARO (I don't know for sure because I don't know them and I don't pretend to). GM's given us several development videos for ZL1 alone - we haven' seen any for LFX or SS's goodies, but those were made, too.

My point is only ask to try to consider the big picture (which I struggle with). Not everyone is going to be able to afford ZL1, and those than can, probably won't be getting one at MSRP, let alone anytime for the '12 model year. The plant is starting production about the end of this calendar year, and there aren't many months going into '12 where they're going to be producing ZL1 for the '12 MY, so it's really not too likely there are going to be a lot of '12s out there to grab. The good thing is that I'm sure we're going to have at least a few years where this beast is going to be available. The writing's on the wall for how long we're going to be able to get cars like this.

This is an excellent topic - I just don't want it to turn into a lot of bashing

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote