View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO_Z28 View Post
I will chime in here as a dealer to give a perspective of what's going on here as we believe.

GM gave us all guide numbers. Ours was 9 thru Q3. We decided it makes sense to order more than the guide number because we couldn't just tell customers to go stick it after number 9. All they would do is go to the next dealer who would take their order and we would be the bad guys. So, we took 15 orders for the 9 spots. Now, most of you already know we are one of the most upfront New York dealers when it comes to ordering Camaros. What does that mean? It means your order was taken chronologically and unless there is a constraint, your order will be placed (event code 2500-3000) chronologically as well. No games. Nobody "cutting" the line. No BS.

However, GM doesn't think that dealers should take more orders than their guide number. I respect their opinion but it doesn't make sense. That means, up until this point, if I stayed at 9 units (my guide number), I would have customers walking out of the showroom screaming that Bast Chevrolet, GM and Obama DON'T WANT MY BUSINESS!! I can't have that. I know that after the end of Q3, they will be building a whole bunch more of these cars. While I can't promise any of my customers a guarantee of when the car is going to arrive, what choice do I have? I am telling every one of them November-December, could be sooner or later. We just don't know. No one does. There are dealers that are telling people 2-3 months if they order now! That is absolutely ridiculous to make that promise. Then they come here and we tell them end of the year and guess who looks like the douche?

So we decided to take about another 10-15 orders after the original 15. That means we have a guide of 9 and I have approx. 30 ordrs to fill ASAP with no promise. So far, I have 7 of those 30 either delivered, placed or about to be placed. That's the best we can do with the info we have been given.

So, what's the point, you say? Be thankful you have an R6P order and hopefully your dealer is as upfront as to where he is regarding all of the other orders and guide numbers.

We are doing the best we can with what we have.

Your questions are welcome.

Sorry if this was a rant.
Thanks for the info RPO. I can understand that process from a business point of view. So far, GM has not told dealers regarding orders above the guide number, is that correct?